Module 5: Taxation of SMSFs & member benefits
- What type of contributions are assessable and the tax treatment of concessional contributions.
- Dealing with excess contributions, understanding contributions are assessable and how division 293 tax applies for high-income earners.
- The capital gains tax rules that apply to super funds, including CGT transitional relief and trading stock exemption.
- The types of income the fund might generate that are assessable.
- Tax deductions, including when a fund can claim and the deductibility of expenses.
- How the non-arm’s length income (NALI) provisions apply to a fund’s income and expenditure.
- How tax exemption applies to income supporting pensions in the retirement phase, including the methods in calculating ECPI.
- How the GST rules apply within SMSFs.
- How the tax laws apply to member benefits paid as a lump sum, income stream or in the event of a member’s death.